How To Change Your Nonresident Status Reminder Fall 2012

Here is the link to:  Current Students: Changing Your Residence Status  and instructions are also copied below with detailed guidance so that you can prepare for your application in advance.  Please read this carefully.

Here are the instructions for a continuing UCSD student who wants to change from a nonresident to a resident for tuition purposes:

At least one year before the quarter you are seeking a reclassification, begin the process of becoming a California resident.

  1. Establish a physical presence by living in California for 366 days prior to the first day of instruction you wish to be a resident.
  2. Establish your intent to become a California resident by changing your ties immediately from your previous residence to this state.
  3. Meet one of the financial independence requirements.

Determine your eligibility.

You will not be eligible for a change of classification until:

  • You are an adult over age 18 and a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or eligible visa holder, and
  • You have established all ties to CA one year prior to the RDD (see Residence Determination Dates), and
  • You can meet one of the financial independence requirements, and

Decide from the following choices which quarter you will file your Change of Classification petition and documentation:

  • You don’t have to wait for the 366 days to file.  You can file as early as the first day when filing date starts.
  • Fall Quarter 2012: Submit starting Aug. 1 thru Sept. 7, 2012 deadline Materials must be received in our office by 4:30 p.m. on deadline day
  • Each quarter has a specific filing period. No exception to deadline dates. Students are urged to apply early enough to avoid paying late reg fees.
  • Students are responsible for payment of all fees by the applicable fee payment deadline.

Complete the petition to change your classification to resident status.

  1. Print the Change of Classification petition (PDF), 2. Complete all applicable information, 3. Sign and date the bottom of the form.

Make copies of all 12 applicable documents and submit them in the proper format.

Write an explanation for all missing or late dated documents. Documents must be single-sided; black out social security numbers on any or all documents.  Keep originals for your records.

Verify your physical presence, intent, and financial independence for the past year by providing copies of all 12 of the following:

  1. CA driver’s license or a CA ID card as soon as possible but within a few months of arriving in the state.
  2. Voter registration card/ affidavit from Registrar of Voters call (800) 696-0136, or go online at the County of San Diego’s website.
  3. A copy of the first month’s bank account statement with a CA bank, or a bank statement showing when address was changed to CA.
  4. CA car registration and car insurance card as soon as possible, but within a few months of arriving in the state.
  5. Federal and all state tax returns for the past year, or W2s only if you did not file in any state. Your residency will be questioned if, during the period you are claiming to be a California resident, you file a full-year resident tax return in another state or file a full-year nonresident California state tax return. If you filed a California Part-Year Resident return (Form 540NR), be sure to include your Schedule CA page (540NR). Black out all social security numbers on all tax documents. If you did not keep copies, call Franchise Tax Board for copies of state tax return and the IRS for your federal tax return at least 90 days before you submit your packet.
  6. Evidence of financial independence (you must meet ONE requirement). You:
  • Are financially dependent on a California resident parent who meets the University’s requirements for residence for tuition purposes (eligible to establish residence, one year physical presence showing intent to remain in the state); student would submit the 12 items for the parent(s) claiming to be a resident(s) and for the student his/herself, or
  • Will be at least age 24 by Dec. 31 of the calendar year for which classification is requested (submit copy of driver’s license), or
  • Are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, or
  • Are a married student who was not claimed as an income tax deduction by either parent or any other individual for the tax year immediately preceding the term for which classification as a resident is requested, or
  • Are a graduate or professional school student who was not claimed as an income tax deduction by either parent or any other individual for the tax year immediately preceding the term for which classification as a resident is requested (submit copies of parents’ federal and state tax returns for the prior tax year), or
  • Are a graduate or professional school student who is employed at the University of California 49 percent or more time (or awarded the equivalent in University-administered funds) during the quarter for which classification as a resident is requested (submit letter from graduate department stating as such), or
  1. Proof of physical presence in California for the summer immediately prior to the change of classification request:
  • Employment verification from CA employer, or from your major department attesting to physical presence in the state, and
  • Either bank or credit card statements, whichever one indicates dates/location activity on them for June, July, and August summer right before classification request. The only statements that can be provided must be in the student’s name only, no joint accts.
  • If absent from the state, provide airline tickets or documentation trail of your physical travel.
  • If on an out-of-state research appointment, provide a letter from your department endorsing your absence.
  • Do not submit store receipts as proof of your physical presence.
  • Summer actions count! A student’s actions during the entire year, including the summer, affect the determination made regarding residence status for tuition purposes. A student who is in California solely for educational purposes is not eligible for California residence for tuition purposes regardless of the length of his or her stay.If a student returns to his or her former place of residence (outside California), he or she will be presumed to be in California solely for educational purposes and only strong evidence to the contrary will rebut this presumption.  A student seeking to establish California residence who accepts employment or conducts research outside of California will be questioned regarding his or her attempts to find employment and/ or conduct research within California. Leaving the state for a unique research opportunity or for special circumstances (such as a medical emergency) may not preclude the student from being classified as a resident, but the burden will be on the student to provide convincing evidence that leaving the state was not inconsistent with his or her claim of permanent residence. See Residence for Tuition Purposes: Temporary Absences.
  1. Copies of all your housing contracts, rental agreements, or mortgage statements for the past year.
  2. Proof of memberships with CA merchants, e.g. stores, supermarkets, video/fitness clubs, public library, and religious affiliations.
  3. Proof of your belongings moved into California such as a moving van bill of lading, U-Haul moving van receipts, etc.
  4. Proof of utilities in your name, e.g. phone, gas, electric, TV, cable, Internet, water, etc. Submit the first and the latest statements only.
  5. If you are a permanent resident through the INS, copy of your alien registration card.

Submit your petition and documentation, and wait for a response. (all single-sided, no two-sided documents) during the dates allowed.

  • Drop off: Registrar’s Office – Attn: Residence Deputy, Student Services Center, 2nd floor (map),8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. weekdays.
  • Mail in: UCSD Residence Deputy, Registrar’s Office 0022, SSC, 2nd floor, 9500 Gilman Dr., La Jolla, CA 92093-0022
  • Wait for an e-mail response from the change of residence deputy within 7 business days.

Note: The student is responsible for submitting all relevant information, requested documentation, written explanations, and clarifications to support an in-state residency request by the deadline. All relevant information, requested documentation, written explanations, and clarifications that you have not submitted prior to the deadline will not be considered or reviewed by the Residence Deputy or on appeal.

Questions? Contact the Residence Deputy via email only at

No other University personnel are authorized to supply information relative to residence requirements for tuition.

Intel Corporation seeking PhD candidates & recent PhD graduates

The Portland Technology Development group of Intel Corporation has several openings for physical science Ph.D.s to support/direct R&D of advanced processing methods. Candidates hired for these positions will be responsible for developing the next generation of Intel’s microprocessors.

Ph.D. candidates in Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Physics, or related fields are encouraged to apply. Criteria for selection include: a strong academic record, demonstrated experimental expertise, an ability to drive and take responsibility for projects and a solid peer-reviewed publication record. Experience using and maintaining complex scientific equipment is preferred.

Openings are immediately available at Intel’s primary development facility (Ronler Acres) located ~10 miles west of Portland, OR.

Interested candidates should email resumes to .

Funding Fest 2012

Funding Fest is an annual series of workshops for postdocs and early career researchers.

1.Pathways to Independence: Winning an NIH K99/R00 grant
The NIH K99/R00 program provides support to postdocs to facilitate transition to independence. The award will provide up to five years of support consisting of two phases.

2.Step One: Know Your Campus Procedure
Jean Linder, PhD., UCSD Sponsored Projects officer, will explain important procedures to get you started.

3.The Basics of Science Grant Writing
Distinguished Professor of Medicine and Bioengineering Peter Wagner will explain the importance of preparation, introduce the proposal elements, explain what and how to address each section.

4.California Funding Opportunities*
* Location will be at The Scripps Research Institute (not UC San Diego)

5.Fellowship Application Seminar
Rachel Cook, Grants Analyst at HSSPO and faculty member (TBA) will provide an overview of the fellowship search process; share the common sections of a fellowship application; how to target your fellowship to appropriate funding sources; and best practices.

More Information

Annual IGERT Poster Competition

The Annual IGERT Poster Competition will be live May 22nd through May 25.

Each year one student from each IGERT program provides a poster as part of the annual IGERT meeting. It’s a great way to learn about cutting edge research being conducted across IGERT programs and a way to learn from each other and make connections. This year’s competition includes videos as well as posters.

Interact with 180 presenters and co-presenters from 114 IGERT projects as they present
their innovative, interdisciplinary graduate work. 25 awards for travel for professional
development related activities will be announced on Friday June 1st at the PI meeting in
Washington, D.C. Twenty awards will be selected by 50 volunteer faculty judges. Four will
be chosen by the IGERT community (faculty, graduate students and alumni). One public
choice award will be selected by the public in order to encourage the dissemination of
science to a general audience.

More Information

Graduate Diversity and Outreach Award Winners

The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry is proud to announce that graduate students Timia Crisp, Donald Johnson, Ignacio López-Peña, Gabriel Reyes-Rodríguez, and Andro Rios have won Graduate Diversity and Outreach Awards. Congratulations to all on this recognition of their efforts.

Joshua Figueroa receives teacher-scholar and early career research awards

Joshua Figueroa, assistant professor of chemistry and biochemistry, has been selected for a Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award. The grant supports the research and teaching careers of talented young faculty in the chemical sciences at an early stage in their careers. This award will support his research into new carbon-carbon bond formation reactions by reactive transition-metal complexes and educational efforts in inorganic chemistry.

Figueroa will also receive a grant from the Department of Energy’s Early Career Research Program. His proposal, selected by the DOE’s Office of Basic Energy Sciences, is to study bond formation and catalysis by base-metal unsaturated isocyanides.

Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Awards Program

May 2012 issue of Research Development & Grantwriting News

The Research Proposal Development Service in the Office of Research Affairs is pleased to send you the May 2012 issue of Research Development & Grant Writing News.

Articles in this issue include:
• Grant Strategies in a Difficult Funding Climate
• Why Halloween is Bad for Proposals, Part 2 of 2
• ARPA-E New and Emerging Directions 2012-2013
• What You Need to Know About NIFA Funding
• Department of Energy SBIR/STTR Outlook 2012-2013

… plus these regular newsletter features:
• Funding for Grad Students and Postdocs
• Research Grant Writing Web Resources
• Educational Grant Writing Web Resources
• Agency Research News
• Agency Reports & Research Roadmaps
• New Funding Opportunities

Research Development and Grantwriting News MAY 2012

Previous issues of the monthly newsletter can be downloaded from a UCSD-only link on this page: (Access from off campus requires connection via VPN.)

Those not yet subscribed to the UCSD Funding List, through which Research Affairs sends out selected research funding opportunity announcements, including those for limited submission programs, are invited to subscribe online:

Congratulations to Professor Joshua S. Figueroa!

CONGRATULATIONS ! It gives me great pleasure to share with you the announcement that Professor Joshua S. Figueroa has been selected by the Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation to receive a 2012 Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award. The program supports the research and teaching careers of talented young faculty in the chemical sciences. Based on institutional nominations, the program provides discretionary funding to faculty members at an early stage in their careers. Criteria for selection include an independent body of scholarship attained within the first five years of their appointment as independent researchers and a demonstrated commitment to education, signaling the promise of continuing outstanding contributions to both research and teaching. The Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Awards Program provides an unrestricted research grant of $75,000. Figueroa earned the Camille and Henry Dreyfus New Faculty Award in 2007. Congratulations, Josh!

TTO Intellectual Property Seminar

Introduction to Intellectual Property and the Technology Transfer Office

Speaker: Eric Gosink, PhD, Senior Licensing Officer Life Science

Some of the questions Eric will address are:
– What are patents and intellectual property?
– Why are they needed?
– What is the University’s role in managing Intellectual Property?

More Information

Looking for Math and Science Tutors for High School

BREYER’s Branches, located in Solana Beach since 1985, provides a one-to-one
supplemental, after-school program for high school math and science.

We’re looking for college students (graduate, post-graduate, upper division) who have
the following qualifications:
– Outstanding backgrounds in science (chemistry, biology or physics), and or/math
– Experience teaching or tutoring through AP
– Ability to clearly and concisely convey concepts and applications
– Enthusiasm for their subjects and for sharing that passion with students
– Can nurture students so they become competent and confident
– Desire to work one or more days a week (afternoon/evening/or weekend) 9/12-6/13
– Excellent references from those who know your teaching ability and subject mastery
– Enjoy working in a collegial atmosphere where teaching materials and support are provided.

More Information